Allahabad stampede: UP govt orders inquiry
Samajwadi Party spokesperson Rajendra Chowdhury said that there was no laxity on the state government's part.
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday ordered an inquiry into the stampede at Allahabad Railway Station and asked the Railways to make proper arrangement to clear the rush of pilgrims who have gathered for Maha-Kumbh from all over the country. At least 10 persons were killed and scores of others injured in a stampede at Allahabad Railway Station teeming with thousands of pilgrims returning after a holy dip at the Maha Kumbh in Allahabad.
"The state government has ordered an inquiry into the incident. The 'snan' at Kumbh was completed without any problem...the unfortunate incident took place at the railway station...Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has ordered an inquiry," Samajwadi Party spokesman and Uttar Pradesh cabinet minister Rajendra Chowdhury said.
Defending local administration, Chowdhury said there was no laxity on its part and it was the failure of the Railways, which should have run more trains to deal with the rush. He said that CM has asked the Centre to run more trains to clear the rush in Allahabad.
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- India, New Zealand Sign Three Agreements
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- New Zealand PM Arrives, Modi Likely to Seek Support on NSG Entry During Meet Tomorrow
- PM Modi Warns of Action Against Those Who 'Snatch' Tribal Rights
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Kejriwal hobnobs with allies, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18