American shot putter Nelson awarded 2004 Olympic gold
Adam Nelson of the United States has been officially awarded the 2004 Athens Olympic shot put gold.
Washington: As Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonoh was disqualified for doping, Adam Nelson of the United States was officially awarded the 2004 Athens Olympic shot put gold.
Both the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the International Associations of Athletics Federations (IAAF) approved the change Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The American lost to Bilonoh in Athens to receive silver and he was also the runner-up in the event at Sydney Olympics. He won the gold at the 2005 World Championships.
"It has been a long wait for Adam, but we are thrilled to see him justly rewarded," USA Track and Field chief executive Max Siegel said.
"Adam is one of the greatest shot putters in history. Adding this Olympic gold medal to his 2005 world championship, 2000 Olympic silver medal and countless other medals and honours only reinforces his already-impressive legacy."
Bilonoh was found positive for steroids when a 2004 drug sample was retested last year.
Denmark's Joachim Olsen moved into Nelson's former silver medal spot while Spain's Manuel Martinez moved up to claim the bronze medal.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1