Amid row over diplomat's arrest, US bags key aircraft deal
The proposal to procure six Super Hercules aircrafts from the US was taken in the midst of a diplomatic row between the two countries.
New Delhi: India will be procuring six more C-130J Super Hercules Special Operations aircraft from the US, a decision significantly taken in the midst of a diplomatic row between the two countries over the arrest of Devyani Khobragade.
The proposal to procure the six C-130J Super Hercules special operations transport aircraft from the US in a deal worth over Rs 4,000 crore was taken at the meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, sources said here.
The IAF already has a fleet of six similar planes which are deployed at the Hindan air base near here and the force uses it for carrying out special operations including landing at the inhospitable air strips in the Ladakh area. The IAF had acquired the first lot of six aircraft at a cost of around Rs 5,500 crore.
The new lot of six planes will be located at Panagarh in West Bengal, which would be headquarters of the proposed Mountain Strike Corps of the army along the China border. Like the first lot, the purchase of six additional aircraft will be through the foreign military sales route between India and the US governments.
The decision assumes significance as it has been taken notwithstanding the diplomatic row with the US over the treatment meted out to Indian Deputy Consul General in New York. India is angry at the American administration's action.
The aircraft is capable of airdropping commandos and material in darkness due to its night-vision imaging. It can prove very handy in wartime due to its ability for special air operations and transport of material and supplies.
It can be used in mountainous terrain in hostile circumstances. The four-engine plane with Rolls Royce engines has the technology and configuration to perform low-level precision flying.
- Official Emblem for U-17 Football World Cup Launched
- BCCI Has Been Unfair to Pakistan, Says Mudassar Nazar
- Pakistani Comedian's Take On Why India-Pakistan Should Not Go To War Is A Must Read
- Jeep Compass SUV Unveiled, India Launch in 2017
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Apple iPhone 7 Users: Please DO NOT Drill a 3.5mm Hole on it to Make Your Own Earphone Jack
- Some of Lodha Recommendations Are Too Much: Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled