'Utterly butterly delicious' Amul girl turns 50
The girl wearing a polka-dot frock is famous for poking fun at national events and personalities in the Amul ads.
New Delhi: An icon of the sorts of modern India, the utterly butterly deliciously witty, Amul Girl has turned 50. The girl wearing a polka-dot frock, famous for poking fun at national events and personalities, first made an appearance in 1967.
Some of her best spoofs will be featured in a special coffee table book that Amul is launching to mark the occasion. The book celebrates the journey of the little girl through the eyes of prominent writers, public figures and the
subjects of the hoardings themselves.
All present-day news-makers, from President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and US President Barack Obama to actor Amitabh Bachchan, cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar and even the industrialist Ambani brothers have been featured by the advertisements.
The Amul baby ads have often been described as one of the best Indian Advertising concepts because of their humour, with puns being its forte, and their penchant of picking up on current events to bring home a point.
Recently the Amul girl celebrated Rafael Nadal's French Open win with the tagline 'Nadal Makhani'.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Triple Talaq a Religious Issue, PM Has No Right to Intervene: AIMPLB's Jilani
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- PM Modi Bats for Women's Rights, Wants Practice of Triple Talaq to go
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh