DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Andrea Petkovic beats Venus Williams at Stanford
Eighth-seeded Petkovic ended Williams' run in the Bank of the West Classic, beating her in the quarter-finals.
Stanford: Eighth-seeded Andrea Petkovic ended Venus Williams' run in the Bank of the West Classic, beating the former top-ranked player 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 in the quarter-finals on Friday.
Following a shaky start, the 25th-ranked Williams picked up her game in the second set and appeared poised to take over the match. The 18th-ranked Petkovic rallied in the third set, taking leads of 3-1 and 5-3, to beat Williams in their first meeting since Luxembourg in 2012.
Petkovic, making her debut in the tournament, is looking for her third title of the season. She also reached the semi-final at the French Open.
Varvara Lepchenko took care of qualifier Sachia Vickery, 6-1, 6-0, to earn her 400th career win, which includes all levels. She will meet third-seeded Angelique Kerber on Saturday night. Kerber topped Garbine Muguruza 6-2, 6-1.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Champions Trophy 2017: Yuvraj Singh to Miss Warm-Up Tie Against New Zealand
- Sehwag Blames Wife for Missing Sachin's Movie Premiere With Hilarious Tweet