Andrea Petkovic beats Venus Williams at Stanford
Eighth-seeded Petkovic ended Williams' run in the Bank of the West Classic, beating her in the quarter-finals.
Stanford: Eighth-seeded Andrea Petkovic ended Venus Williams' run in the Bank of the West Classic, beating the former top-ranked player 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 in the quarter-finals on Friday.
Following a shaky start, the 25th-ranked Williams picked up her game in the second set and appeared poised to take over the match. The 18th-ranked Petkovic rallied in the third set, taking leads of 3-1 and 5-3, to beat Williams in their first meeting since Luxembourg in 2012.
Petkovic, making her debut in the tournament, is looking for her third title of the season. She also reached the semi-final at the French Open.
Varvara Lepchenko took care of qualifier Sachia Vickery, 6-1, 6-0, to earn her 400th career win, which includes all levels. She will meet third-seeded Angelique Kerber on Saturday night. Kerber topped Garbine Muguruza 6-2, 6-1.
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18