Anna calls for stringent punishment in rape cases
Anna further said that it was also important that family members should inculcate strong values in children.
Mumbai: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on Tuesday reiterated his demand for stringent punishment to those accused in rape cases. "There should be stringent punishment for the rape accused. Tough laws are necessary," Hazare told reporters in Mumbai.
He was speaking after paying tribute to the Mahatma Gandhi memorabilia bought by an Indian businessman at the International Airport. Former Army chief VK Singh was also present on the occasion.
Hazare added that it was also important that family members should inculcate strong values in children. He, however, declined to comment on the recent remarks made by spiritual leader Asaram Bapu and RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat in connection with the Delhi gangrape incident.
"Had Gandhian principles been brought into practice in India, the condition of the country would not have been like this today," he said adding that unless people don't get power to pull down the government, there would be no change in the country.
Hazare, who plans to hold a mega rally in Patna on January 30, said he would embark on the nation-wide tour to create awareness among people to bring change in the country.
When asked whether he would like Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal to join the movement, Hazare said, "Whosoever feels that they want a change in the country should join the movement." "Our priority is not to change the politics, but to change the people," he said adding that the country which Gandhiji had envisioned has not been fulfilled.
Meanwhile, General VK Singh said it was time to bring in 'swaraj' (self-rule) in the country. "Time has come for a change in the country," he said.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender