Are all women in Bengal getting raped, asks Mamata
The National Crime Records Bureau has put Bengal at top of charts concerning crime against women with as many as 30,942 such incidents reported in 2012.
Kolkata: Faced with all-round criticism over the rising instances of crime against women, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday sought to defend her government by counter-posing: "Are all women in the state being raped?"
Addressing a Trinamool Congress rally in North 24-Parganas district's Minakhan, Banerjee vented her ire on a section of media which has been highlighting the crimes against women in the state.
"These channels have colluded with the opposition and are running a smear campaign against the government. By doing so, they are disrespecting the soil of Bengal," said Banerjee who earlier had claimed that a "media house was conniving with the opposition to murder her".
The Trinamool chief has been receiving flak from intellectuals and civil society members after she rebuked villagers who were protesting the brutal gang-rape and murder of a college student in Kamduni village in the district.
In her bid to deride her detractors, Banerjee earlier had said: "They blame me for everything. Now, they are even blaming me for rape. As if it was I who went to rape... only if I were a man."
With the city Friday bringing out a huge rally in protest atrocities on women, veteran filmmaker Mrinal Sen said the people of West Bengal have given a "fatwa" to Banerjee and her government to mend their ways.
The state recently has been witnessing a spate of alleged rapes and murders. The National Crime Records Bureau has put Bengal at top the country's charts concerning crime against women with as many as 30,942 such incidents reported in the state in 2012.
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane