Army Chief to begin 4-day visit to Sri Lanka today
The Army Chief is scheduled to interact with President Mahinda Rajapaksa and other high level political and military dignitaries there.
New Delhi: Seeking closer military ties with Sri Lanka, Army chief Gen Bikram Singh will be on a four days visit to the island nation beginning Wednesday.
The visit from December 19-22 assumes special significance in light of ongoing defence cooperation between the two countries in consonance with the growing relationship with Sri Lanka, an Army release said in New Delhi on Tuesday.
The last visit by an Indian Army chief to Sri Lanka was in September 2010. After taking over on June 1, Singh has visited Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh and has laid emphasised on improving ties with the neighbouring countries.
During the visit, the Army chief is scheduled to interact with President Mahinda Rajapaksa and other high level political and military dignitaries there.
He would also be reviewing the Passing Out Parade in a Sri Lankan Military Training Academy on Saturday before his return.
In December 2011, Commander of Sri Lankan Army Lt Gen Jagath Jayasuriya had reviewed the Passing Out Parade at Indian Military Academy in Dehradun.
Singh will be accompanied by his wife Bubbles Singh, who will be visiting Sri Lankan Army's establishments dealing with the welfare of families and their 'Veer Naris' (war widows).
"This will facilitate in mutual understanding and benefit from each others' experiences on the issue," the release said.
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds To Haters After He Was Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor
- Rishi, Neetu and Riddhima Post Messages For Ranbir Kapoor On His Birthday
- 8 Times Ranbir Kapoor Wowed us With His Radical Approach Towards Life