Army housing project: Antony orders probe into 'irregularities'
The allegations had surfaced recently in a report about an Army Housing Project in Kochi, which was planned in 1987 but has not yet materialised.
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony has ordered a probe into allegations of irregularities in an Army housing project in Kochi. Antony has asked senior officials in the Ministry to probe the allegations of irregularities in the Army Welfare Housing Project in Kochi, defence sources said here.
The allegations had surfaced recently in a report about the Army Welfare Housing Organisation's Silver Sands Housing Project, which was planned in 1987 but has not yet materialised.
The report suggested that the armed forces personnel, who had applied for houses in the project, were sold flats built by a private builder in Vaduthala at a higher rate. It is alleged that a complaint has also been registered in this regard with the authorities concerned.
The Army Headquarters said a Board of Officers was directed to review the AWHO's performance and it has submitted its report. The officials said after going through the report, all necessary action would be taken to improve the functioning of the AWHO.
Functioning under the Adjutant General of the Indian Army, the AWHO looks after the housing needs of serving and retired armed forces personnel, which mainly include officers.
Lt Gen Sanjeev Anand has recently taken over as the Adjutant General. Antony has been prompt in taking action on complaints against any wrongdoing in the armed forces or departments.
The Army has been hit by several land scams in the recent past where officials of the rank of Lt Generals have also been indicted by Court of Inquiries. The Ministry has supported action against the erring officials. Scams in the recent past include the Adarsh Housing society scam and Kandivali land scam in Mumbai, Sukna land scam in West Bengal and a land scam in Srinagar.
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Abhishek Verma Rejects Allegations of Purported Defence Leaks by Varun Gandhi
- Wasn't Honey-trapped, Did Not Leak Defence Secrets, Says Varun Gandhi
- Farooq Calls Meeting of Opposition to Discuss Kashmir Issue
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Tamil Nadu Government Constitutes Advisory Committee Under Disaster Management
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?