Army Major to get Kirti Chakra for killing terrorists
Major Manjali, who is from the Bihar Regiment, is currently on deputation to the Rashtriya Rifles.
New Delhi: Major Abup J Manjali of the Rashtriya Rifles would be awarded the Kirti Chakra on the 64th Republic Day for showing extraordinary bravery in counter- terrorist operations in Jammu and Kashmir.
Major Manjali is the only soldier to be awarded the second- highest peacetime gallantry award Kirti Chakra on this Republic Day. Eight other officers and jawans would be given the Shaurya Chakra.
The Army officer, who is from the Bihar Regiment, is currently on deputation to the Rashtriya Rifles and is being given the award for displaying exemplary courage and eliminating terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, Army sources said in New Delhi.
The Kirti Chakra can be awarded to both civilians and military personnel. It is peacetime equivalent of the Maha Vir Chakra.
The Shaurya Chakra awardees include Major Sandeep Kumar of the 13 Sikh Regiment. The officer is being awarded the Shaurya Chakra for his acts of bravery in the Northeast sector. A Navy officer is also being given the Shaurya Chakra for his acts of gallantry for saving people in a fire incident in Mumbai.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration