Ashwini Akkunji mulling over participation in 4x400m relay trials
Ashwini Akkunji completed her two-year ban period for a doping offence earlier this month.
New Delhi: Ashwini Akkunji, who earlier this month completed her two-year ban period for a doping offence, is contemplating to run in the women's 4x400m relay trials on July 20 for a place in the Indian quartet for next month's World Athletics Championships in Moscow.
India had qualified for the women's 4x400m relay race for the World Championships after winning gold in the Asian Athletics Championships in Pune early this month.
The trials will be held at the NIS Patiala on July 20 and the Athletics Federation of India selection committee will meet the next day in New Delhi to finalise the Indian squad.
Akkunji, who had won 400m hurdles and 4x400m relay gold in the 2010 Asian Games, told PTI from her training base at NIS Patiala that she will decide whether to take part in the trials or not in the next couple of days.
"I am eligible for the trials and I have been continuing training. So I can run. Let us see," she said.
"I have a slight niggle in my legs, though it is part and parcel of an athlete's training module. I will take a final decision in the next couple of days," she added.
It is learnt that the trials would be mainly to pick two runners as India's current best quarter-milers MR Poovamma and Anu Mariam Jose, who were part of the Asian Championships gold-winning quartet, are automatic choices.
"Two members of the quartet Poovamma and Mariam Jose are automatic picks. They are the current best. We are looking for the two remaining slots in the trials," AFI director ML Dogra said.
"The likes of Akkunji can take part. The objective is we want to produce a good performance in women's 4x400m relay. We have been dominant in Asia in this event," he said.
In the Asian Championships in Pune, 800m runner Tintu Luka was drafted just a day before the 4x400m relay race after AFI's request for inclusion of Akkunji was shot down by the competition technical delegate. Nirmala was the fourth member of the quartet.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers