Assam: Tea garden owner, wife burnt to death by workers
According to reports, the tea garden had been facing management and labour problems for quite some time.
Guwahati: In a shocking incident in Assam, the owner of a tea estate and his wife were on Wednesday burnt to death by a mob of angry workers. The incident occurred at the Borduma Tea Estate in the Tinsukia tea gardens.
According to reports, the tea garden had been facing management and labour problems for quite some time. The deceased have been identified as Mridul Kumar Bhattacharjee and his wife Rita Bhattacharjee.
Police said the incident took place after Bhattacharya served eviction notice to two workers of his estate asking them to vacate their quarters. The two workers refused to leave and Bhattacharya called the police who arrested the duo on Wednesday.
As news of the arrest spread, a group of workers assembled and rampaged through the bungalow of the owner. They set fire to the building and also torched two cars belonging to Bhattacharya.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation