Assam: Tea garden owner, wife burnt to death by workers
According to reports, the tea garden had been facing management and labour problems for quite some time.
Guwahati: In a shocking incident in Assam, the owner of a tea estate and his wife were on Wednesday burnt to death by a mob of angry workers. The incident occurred at the Borduma Tea Estate in the Tinsukia tea gardens.
According to reports, the tea garden had been facing management and labour problems for quite some time. The deceased have been identified as Mridul Kumar Bhattacharjee and his wife Rita Bhattacharjee.
Police said the incident took place after Bhattacharya served eviction notice to two workers of his estate asking them to vacate their quarters. The two workers refused to leave and Bhattacharya called the police who arrested the duo on Wednesday.
As news of the arrest spread, a group of workers assembled and rampaged through the bungalow of the owner. They set fire to the building and also torched two cars belonging to Bhattacharya.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
Recommended For You
- 'I Keep Doing It' Declares Wembley Hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Iran's 'The Salesman' Wins Oscar As Farhadi Boycotts Ceremony
- Oscars 2017: Moonlight Wins Big; Emma Stone, Casey Affleck Take Home Best Actors
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game