Assam: 2 persons killed, 15 injured; indefinite curfew imposed
Sources said the injured have been admitted to Goalpara Civil Hospital and the critically wounded have been referred to Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
Goalpara: Two persons were killed and more than 15 injured, including senior police officials, in police firing and mob violence, following which indefinite curfew was clamped in two areas of Assam's Goalpara district on Monday.
Violence broke out in Mailapathar area near Rakshashini forest after the body of a 50-year old cowherd, who was missing since yesterday, was recovered this morning, official sources said.
Local people came out in large number to protest the killing and soon a mob of villagers attacked policemen injuring five of them including District Superintendent of Police SP Saikia and Deputy Superintendent of Police Debojit Nath.
Police then opened fire to disperse the mob in which two people were killed and more than ten injured, three of them critically. Following this, indefinite curfew was clamped in areas under Forest Gate and Mailapathar police stations as the situation turned tense, the sources said.
Senior police and civil officials were camping in the area, the sources said.
The injured have been admitted to Goalpara Civil Hospital and the critically wounded have been referred to Guwahati Medical College Hospital, the sources added.
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock