Assam: Hardcore ULFA leader comes overground
Bijoy Chinese had got in touch with police in Tinsukia and was being brought to Guwahati on Thursday.
Tinsukia/Guwahati: Bijoy Chinese, a top ULFA leader and a trusted lieutenant of its 'military chief' Paresh Baruah, has come overground and has expressed support for peace talks. Official sources said ULFA (anti-talk faction) 'eastern zone commander' Bijoy Chinese had got in touch with police in Tinsukia and was being brought to Guwahati on Thursday.
"I support peace talks between ULFA, the government and the pro-talk group. That is why I have come to participate in the talks...I have come back to the mainstream," the dreaded insurgent told reporters while being brought to the Assam capital. On the elusive 'c-in-c' Paresh Baruah, who is allegedly in Myanmar, joining the peace process, the 50-year old insurgent said, "I don't know what is the latest position. I am sure they will come. I will tell you all everything later."
"I appeal the others in ULFA (opposing the peace process) to also come forward in support of the parleys," he said. Asked if other members of the proscribed outfit were with him, Bijoy said, "I came with some others. Now I am alone ... others will also come".
On the strength of the Paresh Baruah faction, he said there are about 150 cadres and 30 senior leaders. Meanwhile, the ULFA anti-talk faction in an e-mail to PTI said Bijoy had taken the decision to come overground for his personal and family reasons.
"We welcome his decision. We wish him well in the future with good health," the e-mail said.
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Rock On 2 Trailer: Farhan, Shraddha, Arjun All Set to Bring Back Magik
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18