Assam: One arrested, seven detained over killing of minor
The minor girl, who hailed from Cheralia village, had been raped and later killed by unidentified persons.
Tezpur: Police on Wednesday arrested one person for alleged involvement in the rape-cum-murder of a seven-year-old girl whose body was recovered near a village at Sonitpur district of Assam on Tuesday. Police also said that seven other persons have been detained for questioning in this regard.
The minor girl, who hailed from Cheralia village, had been raped and later killed by unidentified persons. One Gakul Orang (26) was arrested for being allegedly involved in the crime. Among the persons detained for questioning are Dipen Orang (22), Sam Orang (27) and August Orang (28), while the identity of the other four have not been disclosed.
The girl was kidnapped from her house late in the night of April 15, 2013. Police are still investigating as to how the kidnapping was carried out. The minor's body was recovered from a paddy field near Cheralia village on Tuesday by some locals who later informed the police.
Various organisations, including the All Adivasi Students Association of Assam (AASAA,) have condemned the incident and demanded immediate arrest and punishment of the culprits.
Recommended For You
- Indian Spinners Lacked Patience in the Second Innings: Maninder Singh
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards
- Rangoon Movie Review: It's Overlong, Indulgent to the Point of Exhaustion
- PV Sindhu Says All England is Like Any Other Super Series for Her