Assam riots: Toll reaches 19; fresh clashes on
Police said an additional nine companies of paramilitary forces were deployed in the district.
Kokrajhar: Fresh clashes and arson were reported from the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts (BTAD) where two more bodies were recovered on Monday taking the toll to 19 in the ethic violence.
The bodies were recovered from the banks of Gouranga river on Monday morning, police said.
People stopped the Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express at Pratapkhat between Kokrajhar and Gossaigaon alleging that their houses were damaged by miscreants when they moved to relief camps, IGP (BTAD) SN Singh told PTI.
The train subsequently resumed its journey.
"There are fresh reports of houses being set ablaze in several places in Kokrajhar district, Singh said.
"Reinforcements have been rushed to the areas and the situation is gradually coming back to normal," he said.
An abandoned hostel of Bodo students was set ablaze at Bidyapara in Dhubri district with the fire brigade initially being prevented access before police intervened.
Police fired in the air when bandh supporters tried to forcibly close down shops in Golokgunj and Gauripur towns of Dhubri during a 12-hour bandh called by the All Assam Minority Students' Union to protest attacks on the minorities in BTAD districts, SP Pradip Saloi said.
Seven person were injured in the clashes.
Bandh supporters also ransacked the office of Bodoland Peoples' Front in Gauripur town.
The AAMSU subsequently withdrew the bandh following an appeal by ministers.
An additional nine companies of paramilitary forces were deployed in the district while the Army was assisting in maintaining law and order, Singh said.
Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain and Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam reached Kokrajhar and appealed to people to maintain peace and calm and not heed rumours.
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- My Character in Rock On 2 Goes Through an Internal Conflict: Farhan Akhtar