Assam: Security tightened for New Year's evening
Police has stepped up patrolling and put both uniformed personnel and plainclothes police at sensitive places.
Guwahati: Security has been beefed up in Guwahati and other parts of Assam in the run-up to the New Year, with city police launching special drive against drunk driving. "We have stepped up patrolling and put both uniformed personnel and plainclothes police at sensitive places. Our main target are those who are engaged in drunk driving," Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police AK Tiwari said.
He said the operation against drunk driving has been going on since last few days and police have recovered fines to the tune of lakhs of rupees from violators. In addition, police are also continuing drive against tainted glasses in cars.
"On New Year's night, we will have joint patrols with magistrates, policemen and medicos," Tiwari said. He said all bars, restaurants, hotels and other places would have to wound up their New Year parties by 12.30 am and anybody found violating the directives in this regard would be penalised.
The district administration here has already allotted special one-time licences for places organising New Year parties and those who would be serving alcoholic drinks.
Recommended For You
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India