Assam: Woman raped by driver, dies on way to hospital
The woman and her husband were travelling by a private vehicle from Bolpui town of Mizoram to Lumding in Assam on Wednesday.
Karimganj (Assam): A 29-year-old woman died after being brutally raped and dumped by a driver in Silchar town of Assam, police said on Thursday. The woman and her husband were travelling by a private vehicle from Bolpui town of Mizoram to Lumding in Assam on Wednesday when the driver, feigning problem in the vehicle, asked the man to push it, they said. As soon as the man got off, the driver sped away with the woman inside.
He took the woman to Silchar and raped her on Wednesday night before dumping her in a critical condition near a car stand in the town, police said. Later, the locals found the woman on Thursday morning and called the police. However, she died on her way to the hospital.
The victim's husband, a former Mizoram police employee, also managed to reach Silchar and reported the matter to the police. A search was launched and the driver Zakir Hussain Majumdar was arrested on Thursday afternoon from Silchar-Sonari road, near the town with his vehicle, police said, adding he would be produced before the court on Saturday.
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP