Assam: Woman raped by driver, dies on way to hospital
The woman and her husband were travelling by a private vehicle from Bolpui town of Mizoram to Lumding in Assam on Wednesday.
Karimganj (Assam): A 29-year-old woman died after being brutally raped and dumped by a driver in Silchar town of Assam, police said on Thursday. The woman and her husband were travelling by a private vehicle from Bolpui town of Mizoram to Lumding in Assam on Wednesday when the driver, feigning problem in the vehicle, asked the man to push it, they said. As soon as the man got off, the driver sped away with the woman inside.
He took the woman to Silchar and raped her on Wednesday night before dumping her in a critical condition near a car stand in the town, police said. Later, the locals found the woman on Thursday morning and called the police. However, she died on her way to the hospital.
The victim's husband, a former Mizoram police employee, also managed to reach Silchar and reported the matter to the police. A search was launched and the driver Zakir Hussain Majumdar was arrested on Thursday afternoon from Silchar-Sonari road, near the town with his vehicle, police said, adding he would be produced before the court on Saturday.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Ironman Turns 'Ultraman': Milind Soman Races 517 kms Barefoot
- SRK Joins Sonakshi Sinha, Sidharth Malhotra On The Sets of Ittefaq
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More