Indian boy's death an accident: suspect tells Oz cops
The 23-year-old accused also admitted disposing of the toddler's body.
Melbourne: Indian national Gursewak Dhillon, accused in the death of three-year-old Gurshan Singh Channa, has reportedly told Australian police that he accidentally knocked the toddler down when he opened the house door.
The 23-year-old accused admitted disposing of the toddler's body but denied deliberately injuring the child, The Age reported.
He told police the boy was accidentally knocked unconscious on Thursday at the house in David Street, Lalor, where he had been staying with the toddler's family.
Dhillon has claimed he panicked and put the unconscious boy in the boot of a car, drove for about three hours and dumped the body 20 kilometres away in Oaklands Junction without checking if the three-year-old was alive.
Victorian police, however, said that the toddler could have been saved if he had received timely basic first aid than being left lying in the boot of a car.
Stating that if Dhillon's version that he accidentally knocked him unconscious as he opened the house door was true, police said that it was possible that Gurshan would have recovered from the accident if he was not left trapped in a car boot for hours, the local media here reported.
Meanwhile, forensic experts also tested the car that was used by the Gursewak to carry the toddler.
According to The Age, forensic experts will test the car to see if the boy could have suffocated in the boot or could have died through carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty exhaust.
From Our Network
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti's new found grit would go a long way to usher peace in the Valley- FirstPost
- Jaya Prada in UP Film Council with cabinet rank, days after Amar Singh threatens to quit Samajwadi Party - Pradesh18
- Lalu takes a jibe at BJP, says most leaders from the party are drunkards - Pradesh18