Australian Open: Somdev beats Phau to reach second round
Devvarman defeated Bjorn Phau of Germany in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 6-3.
Melbourne: India's Somdev Devvarman defeated Bjorn Phau of Germany in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 6-3 to advance to the second round of Australian Open 2013. The 551-ranked Indian won a total of 97 points with the help of four aces against his much higher ranked opponent Germany.
Phau, ranked 78 in the world, was able to convert only one break point out of 14 whereas Somdev converted 6 out of 9. The game which lasted an hour and 50 minutes saw the Indian hitting four winners against the German's two.
Devvarman, who was largely inactive in 2012 due to shouldered injury had reached the second round of Chennai Open 2013 where he had lost to Tomas Berdych 6-3, 6-1. In 2011, the Somdev had got a wild card to the 2011 Australian Open due to his good performance in 2010. Playing the tournament for the first time, he lost to Tommy Robredo in the first round.
The 27-year-old Indian will next take on the winner of another first round match between Simone Bolelli of Italy and Polish Jerzy Janowicz.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models