DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Azad Maidan riots: Chargesheet filed against 57 accused
The chargesheet comes days after the authorities initiated the process of recovering damages from the organisers of the rally.
Mumbai: The Mumbai Crime Branch on Friday filed a 3500-page chargesheet in the August 11 Azad Maidan riots case. Fifty seven accused have been charged with damage to public property and molestation.
Two people had died and at least 52 were injured, including over 40 policemen, when the rally organised to protest the alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar suddenly turned violent. Police investigation found that the riot was a pre-planned act and arrested 63 accused. Five of these were discharged and 28 others granted bail.
The chargesheet comes days after the authorities initiated the process of recovering damages from the organisers of the rally. More than 30 vehicles of the police, media and BEST buses were damaged in the violence. Former Mumbai Police Commissioner, Arup Patnaik was also shunted out in the aftermath of the riot.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Bangladesh vs Pakistan, Champions Trophy Warm-up, Live From Birmingham