Bahrain braces for Formula One race in April
Bahrain is preparing to host the region's biggest sporting event, the 2013 F1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, slated for April 19-21 at the Sakhir circuit.
Manama (Bahrain): Bahrain is preparing to host the region's biggest sporting event, the 2013 Formula One Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, slated for April 19-21 at the Sakhir circuit.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) Chief Executive Shaikh Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa said that the top-class motor racing and entertainment event will witness a wide host of activities, reports Xinhua.
Salman unveiled the official slogan for this year's Grand Prix: "Imagine Your Moment." Officials announced that the event, which is the fourth round of the 2013 FIA Formula1 World Championship, will be held in cooperation with national carrier Gulf Air.
"The 2013 Formula1 Bahrain Gulf Air Grand Prix is expected to draw thousands of fans throughout the Middle East," said Gulf Air acting Chief Executive Officer Maher Salman Al Musallam.
In the 2012, about 70,000 spectators attended the race, with officials expecting a bigger turnout this year. BIC hopes to come close to matching its biggest-ever turnout to the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend of 100,000 fans in 2010.
The Formula One race is being held in Bahrain since April 2004, but in 2011 the event was cancelled because of the political unrest.
- Debate Night: Clinton, Trump Set For High-Stakes Showdown
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- Trump Lauds Hindu Community's 'Fantastic' Contributions to US
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- Watch the five claims of Sharif at the 71st session of UNGA
- UK Police to Probe Pakistan-Born Actor's Anti-India Rant