Bangalore: Man arrested for raping differently-abled girl
Bangalore Police said it would start a new helpline from Wednesday to ensure safety of women.
Bangalore: A lorry driver was on Monday arrested for raping his 17-year-old differently-abled teenaged neighbour at Machanayakanahalli, the police said. Prakash allegedly raped the girl on Monday after taking her out of the house, Deputy SP R Mallesh said.
A case was registered after the victim's relatives lodged a complaint.
Incidents of rape have been reported in Karnataka over the past few days amid continuing national outrage against sexual attacks on women.
Bangalore Police said it would start a new helpline from Wednesday to ensure safety of women. "The helpline which would function from the City Police Commissioner office will be in operation 24 x 7 and manned by a Deputy Commissioner of Police", City Police Commissioner Jyotiprakash Mirji told reporters here.
He advised women against walking alone in isolated places and also jot down the registration number of buses and autorickshaws while travelling.
Mirji said the police have decided to step up patrolling across the city, considered the country's IT hub, and deploy plainclothes police personnel in isolated areas to prevent crimes.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable