Banking: All about exams, cadres in CWE (IBPS)
IBPS or Institute of Banking Personnel Selection acquired independent status in 1984.
Bank Types: Nationalized Banks
IBPS or Institute of Banking Personnel Selection acquired independent status in 1984. The credit to the initiative goes to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Nationalized Banks. Dr Manmohan Singh, who was the governor of RBI at the time, became the first Chairman of the Governing Board of IBPS. Prior to 1984, the institute was a unit of National Institute of Bank Management (NIBM) and was called Personnel Selection Services (PSS). IBPS has a mandate from nineteen Public Sector Banks to conduct the eligibility exam for selection to these banks. The exam is termed as the Common Written Examination.
IBPS conducts CWE (Common Written Examination) is accepted by the following banks:
Bank of Baroda
Bank of India
Bank of Maharashtra
Central Bank of India
Indian Overseas Bank
Oriental Bank of Commerce
Punjab National Bank
Punjab & Sind Bank
Union Bank of India
United Bank of India
IBPS conducts different exams for different cadres:
1. IBPS CWE PO/MT for the position of Probationary Officer or Management Trainee. IBPS PO is conducted twice in a year.
2. IBPS CWE Clerk for Clerical positions. This exam is also conducted twice in a year.
3. IBPS Specialist Officer. This exam is announced from time to time and covers specialist positions in banks.
In all these exams, a scorecard is issued to all candidates who secure more than minimum qualifying marks in each test of the examination. The candidates can reappear in the exam if they would like to improve their score.
Each participating Public Sector Bank will independently issue a separate recruitment notification. The successful candidates are required to apply to any of the participating banks when the job openings are announced. The banks will notify vacancies as well as eligibility criteria such as age, educational qualification, and minimum CWE score.
Banks may also put forward proficiency in local languages as a eligibility criteria, especially in the case of clerical cadre recruitment. Each bank will then individually shortlist candidates and carry out their own selection processes such as Interviews etc. for final selection.
From Our Network
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti's new found grit would go a long way to usher peace in the Valley- FirstPost
- Jaya Prada in UP Film Council with cabinet rank, days after Amar Singh threatens to quit Samajwadi Party - Pradesh18
- Lalu takes a jibe at BJP, says most leaders from the party are drunkards - Pradesh18