Beating Retreat cancelled after ex-president's death
Beating Retreat is held on January 29 after the Republic Day every year.
New Delhi: The annual ceremony of Beating Retreat, the grand finale to the Republic Day celebrations, has been called off following the demise of former president R Venkataraman, defence ministry officials said on Tuesday.
Beating Retreat is held on January 29 after the Republic Day every year in Delhi, where bands of army, navy and air force play traditional marching tunes. It symbolises the return of troops to their barracks.
Venkataraman died at the Army Research and Referral Hospital here Tuesday following prolonged illness. He was 98.
He was the eighth president of the country serving from 1987 to 1992.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Poll: Which Is the Best Vishal Bhardwaj Film Till Date?
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Comedian Bharti Singh All Set to Tie the Knot by the End of 2017
- Ross Taylor Achieves Milestone ODI Century