Berdych, Almagro make last 8 at Swedish Open
Almagro got off to a rough start against fellow Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez but rallied to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Sweden: Top seeds Tomas Berdych and Nicolas Almagro began the Swedish Open by reaching the quarter-finals on Thursday. Berdych and Almagro received first-round byes, and had contrasting wins.
Almagro, a three-time finalist in Bastad, got off to a rough start against fellow Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez but rallied to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
His next opponent, Fernando Verdasco, also of Spain, beat Jan-Lennard Struff 6-1, 7-5.
Berdych, the No. 1 seed in the clay-court tournament, easily defeated Argentine Martin Alund 6-3, 6-0. It was the Czech's first match since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon quarterfinals.
Next up for Berdych is Thiemo De Bakker, the Dutchman who survived two match points before eliminating Viktor Troicki of Serbia 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (6).
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Ranveer Singh Is Exactly Who He is Dressing As, Says His Stylist
- Salman Khan's Rumoured Girlfriend Iulia Vantur Sings His Songs at an Event
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone