Berdych eases into QFs of Chennai Open
World No 6 Tomas Berdych beat Ivan Dodig 6-2, 6-4 to reach the last eight.
Chennai: Top seed and World No 6 Tomas Berdych was kept on court for longer than expected as he eased past the unheralded Ivan Dodig 6-2, 6-4, to enter the singles quarter-finals of the Aircel ATP Chennai Open tennis tournament here on Wednesday.
The match lasted an hour and 27 minutes as the 25-year-old Czech Berdych overcame some resistance in the second set by the 88th-ranked Croatian who otherwise was outplayed for much of the contest.
"No match is easy despite what the scores might indicate. You have to work hard to make it look easy," said Berdych.
Berdych, the 2010 Wimbledon finalist, had far too much variety and consistency in his play while Dodig spent much of the match retrieving without able to really trouble his opponent.
The 25-year-old Czech, who twice beat the iconic Roger Federer last year, stamped his authority on the match with breaks in the first, third and fifth games of the opening set and it put Dodig on the defensive.
The only hiccup for Berdych was that he dropped serve in the fourth, but it did not change the course of the set or, for that matter, the match itself.
"I made two or three mistakes in that game and lost it. Luckily, I had the advantage of two breaks and it helped," Berdych said.
In the second set, Berdych broke in the fifth and there was not much that Dodig could do to get back into the match that ended when the Czech comfortably closed on his serve.
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP