Berdych helps Czech Republic level 1-1 with Switzerland
Berdych eased to a 6-3, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory over 289th-ranked Henri Laaksonen.
Geneva: Tomas Berdych won his match on Friday to bring defending champion Czech Republic level at 1-1 against Switzerland after the opening singles of their first-round series. The sixth-ranked Berdych eased to a 6-3, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory over 289th-ranked Henri Laaksonen on an indoor hardcourt at Palexpo Arena.
Earlier, Swiss team leader Stanislas Wawrinka beat Lukas Rosol 6-4, 6-3, 6-4. Roger Federer is skipping the best-of-five series, while Czech veteran Radek Stepanek is sidelined by injury.
Berdych was unexpectedly stretched to a fourth set by the 20-year-old Laaksonen, a Davis Cup debutant for his adopted country after playing for Finland four years ago. Wawrinka, ranked No. 17, fell behind midway through the first set against the 73rd-ranked Rosol, but broke straight back and was seldom threatened thereafter.
In Saturday's doubles, Wawrinka, the 2008 Olympic champion with Federer, will partner Marco Chiudinelli against Ivo Minar and Jiri Vesely. The marquee match between Wawrinka and Berdych is scheduled to open the reverse singles on Sunday.
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18