Bharat Ratna for music legend Bhimsen Joshi
New Delhi: Classical vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi will be honoured with Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award of the country, the Rashtrapati Bhavan announced late on Tuesday.
President Pratibha Patil is pleased to award the Bharat Ratna to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, an official statement from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
Joshi, 88, was born in Gadag district of Karnataka. He was honoured with Padma Vibhushan in 1999 for his contribution to Indian classical music.
He was also awarded with Padma Bhushan in 1985 and Padma Shri in 1972.
In 2005, the Karnataka government honoured him with the Karnataka samman.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance