Bharat Ratna for music legend Bhimsen Joshi
New Delhi: Classical vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi will be honoured with Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award of the country, the Rashtrapati Bhavan announced late on Tuesday.
President Pratibha Patil is pleased to award the Bharat Ratna to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, an official statement from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
Joshi, 88, was born in Gadag district of Karnataka. He was honoured with Padma Vibhushan in 1999 for his contribution to Indian classical music.
He was also awarded with Padma Bhushan in 1985 and Padma Shri in 1972.
In 2005, the Karnataka government honoured him with the Karnataka samman.
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender