Bharatbala states why he chose Parvathi Menon for 'Mariayan'
The actress, is known for her proficient work in Tamil films such as 'Chennaiyil Oru Naal' and 'Poo'.
Chennai: Tamil filmmaker Bharatbala chose Parvathi Menon for his upcoming romantic drama 'Mariyaan' because he finds her rooted to the landscape of the film a factor he believes is very important while casting.
Parvathi, a Malayalee actress, is known for her work in Tamil films such as 'Chennaiyil Oru Naal' and 'Poo'.
"I could have easily chosen a north Indian actress, but I believe an actor should be suitable to the landscape against which a film is shot. I chose Parvathi because right from her features to her body language - everything is apt for the setting of the film," Bharatbala told IANS. Set against the backdrop of Kanyakumari and Sudan, 'Mariyaan' is about the will of survival of a fisherman held captive.
"Parvathi is not just a south Indian, but also carries the typical features of a south Indian. Since her part of the story is set in Kanyakumari, she was apt to pull off a compelling role. I also picked her because I liked the intensity of her character in the film 'Poo'," he added.
Bharatbala also said that it is vital to let the characters choose actors.
"I don't believe that a script can be written keeping in mind an actor. I never wrote the script of 'Mariyaan' keeping in mind Dhanush or Parvathi. It was the characters of my film that eventually made me choose them.
"In fact, I wasn't even sure who to cast when I began scripting. But, I knew that every story will take you to a destination. I believed in this theory and I was successful in the process," he added. The film also features Salim Kumar, Appu Kutty and Jagan. It is produced by Venu Ravichandran and has music by the Oscar-winning A R Rahman.
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Shivaay Advance Bookings Have Been Phenomenal: Reports
- Don't Have Grace in Dancing: Ajay Devgn
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- At paltry Rs 150 crore, gold bonds scheme fails to glitter
- PM's Diwali gifts: How to secure your gold through Centre's gold coin, monetisation and bond schemes