Bhopal: Minister conducts minor's wedding
The wedding of the girl was conducted at the behest of Chitnis under the 'Kanyadan Scheme'.
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh assembly, Ajay Singh, on Friday demanded that School Education Minister Archana Chitnis be removed from the state Cabinet for organising the marriage of a minor girl. Chitnis organised the marriage under the 'Kanyadan Scheme' on Friday.
In a statement, the Congress leader said the state government would lose moral right to appeal to the people to stop child marriages if a minor girl is married off at the instance of a minister. Chitnis was not available for comment.
The marriage of the girl was conducted at the behest of Chitnis at Burhanpur in her native Khandwa district, it said. Singh also demanded a criminal case be filed against her.
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Accuses it of Trying to 'Divide India'
- Defamation Case: Rahul Gandhi Makes his Appearance in Assam Court
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher