Bhupathi-Bopanna make semis of World Tour Finale
The fifth seeded Indian pair fought tooth and nail for a 7-6 (5) 6-7(5) 10-5 win against the second seeded Belarussian-Canadian pair.
London: India's Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna knocked out defending champions Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor to qualify for the semi-finals of the ATP World Tour Finale, here on Friday.
The fifth seeded Indian pair fought tooth and nail for a 7-6 (5) 6-7(5) 10-5 win against the second seeded Belarussian-Canadian pair in their final Group B match that lasted almost two hours.
Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek have already secured a place in the last-four stage and they play their last Group A match against top seeded American pair of Bob and Mike Bryan on Saturday.
The Indians saved five breakpoints to win the first set in a tie-break but Mirnyi and Nestor pushed the match to a Match tie-breaker by winning the second set, which was fought fiercely for 56 minutes.
Bhupathi and Bopanna zoomed to a 9-4 lead and converted their second match point to secure a semi-final berth. With today's win, Bhupathi and Bopanna now lead the head to-head record against Nestor and Mirnyi 3-2.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show