'Black Lady' unveiled for Filmfare Awards East
The iconic 'Black Lady' trophy was unveiled in Guwahati in the run-up to the maiden Filmfare Awards East.
Guwahati: The iconic 'Black Lady' trophy of the Filmfare award, the oldest film award of the country, was unveiled here today in the run-up to the maiden Filmfare Awards East.
Assamese film stars Kopil Bora and Zerifa Wahid unveiled the trophy which would be awarded to celebrate artistic and cinematic excellence in Bengal, Odisha and Assam. Filmfare editor Jitesh Pillai said the first Filmfare Awards East would be given in four categories -- best film, best director, best actor and best actress.
"The award celebrates the power of movies and stars and is a humble attempt to take Bengal, Odisha and Assam to the national mainstream," Pillai said.
The awards will be presented at a star-studded function on March 29 next in Kolkata. Recent years have witnessed a boom in the eastern movie industry with an infusion of young talents, experimental creative vision and the growth of all genres of movies, Pillai said.
Referring to Assamese films, Pillai said cinema in the state has seen a wonderful confluence of art and commerce in recent years.
"This is a historic and memorable day for Assamese cinema which faces a difficult task to survive. It is indeed heartening that Filmfare has started looking East and we hope it becomes an annual event," Bora said.
"The Filmfare award coming to the East will also help Assamese film industry to become a part of the big family of Indian cinema," Wahid pointed out.
- Sharif Chairs Cabinet Meet Day After Indian Strike on Terror Camps Across LoC
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against Terrorist Outfits
- Indian Army's Surgical Strike Across LoC Was Carefully Measured: Experts
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- We Have the Right To Defend Ourselves: Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
- Pakistan Need To Be Taught A Lesson: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire Again in J&K's Akhnoor District