BlackBerry abandons sale plan, will replace CEO Thorsten Heins
BlackBerry will replace its chief executive officer and raise about $1 billion from institutional investors, including its largest shareholder.
BlackBerry Ltd is abandoning a plan to sell itself and instead will replace its chief executive officer and raise about $1 billion from institutional investors, including its largest shareholder, the smartphone maker said on Monday.
Shares of BlackBerry dropped 16.3 per cent to $6.50 in premarket trading. The company said it would raise the money with a private placement of convertible debentures.
John Chen will be appointed executive chairman and will be interim CEO while the company looks for a new leader. He is the former CEO of Sybase, a database software company that SAP AG acquired in 2010.
Chen joined private equity group Silver Lake as senior adviser last year.
BlackBerry grew from a small technology startup into a multibillion-dollar company by pioneering on-the-go email, but it has lost much of its market share to Apple Inc's iPhone and devices that run Google Inc's Android software.
BlackBerry's largest shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd, will buy $250 million of the debentures. BlackBerry said the subordinated debentures would be convertible into common shares at $10 and have a seven-year term.
Fairfax announced a tentative $9-a-share offer for Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry in late September. But Reuters said on Friday that Fairfax was struggling to finance the $4.7 billion bid.
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 1st ODI, Sharjah
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution