3 people dead, 40 missing as boat capsizes in West Bengal
The victims were going to an island in the Ganges for agricultural purposes.
Malda: An overcrowded boat capsized in the Ganga river in Manikchak area of Malda district in West Bengal. Around 40 people are reportedly missing and three bodies have been recovered so far.
The victims were going to an island in the Ganges for agricultural purposes. Rescue operations are on with local divers and teams from the civil defence deparment.
Officials said a country boat carrying around 60 passengers, mostly daily labourers, capsized after it left Dharampur bank towards the char (riverine) island at 7.30 am.
Senior district and police officials are camping on the spot and supervising rescue operations.
With additional information from PTI
Recommended For You
- KTM Duke Launch Live: 2017 Duke 390, Duke 200 and Duke 250 Launched
- Would Choose Margarita With a Straw Over Any Big Budget Film: Sayani Gupta
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Pooja Bhatt to File Police Complaint Against Man Posing as Her Agent
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology