DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Bolelli upsets Almagro at Madrid Masters
Bolelli entered the draw after Marat Safin withdrew with a shoulder injury.
Madrid: Italian Simone Bolelli upset local favourite Nicolas Almagro 7-6, 6-1 at the Madrid Masters on Monday to clinch a second-round meeting with fourth seed Andy Murray.
The 23-year-old Bolelli, who entered the draw after Russian Marat Safin withdrew with a shoulder injury, took advantage of his opponent's own shoulder problems to win through.
Almagro said his injury-hit season had been "a year to forget".
American Mardy Fish eased past Belgian Steve Darcis 6-1, 6-4 to set up a clash with 15th seed Richard Gasquet of France.
World No. 16 Gilles Simon of France came back from a set down to beat Russian Igor Andreev 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 and next faces American James Blake.
Olivier Rochus put up a spirited fight against Croat Marin Cilic but the Belgian was eventually outdone by the big serves and long reach of the 6-foot-6 world No. 24, losing 6-3, 7-5.
Cilic plays Madrid local Fernando Verdasco in the second round.
Spain's Tommy Robredo ousted Italian Andreas Seppi 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 while Czech Tomas Berdych crushed German Rainer Schuettler 6-1, 6-2.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Says Champions Trophy Most Competitive 'Big' Tournament
- Maruti Suzuki Says Most Models to Have Automatic Transmission Options by 2020
- Prabhas-Anushka's Real Life Photos Are As Magical As Their Onscreen Chemistry
- England vs South Africa, 1st ODI: As It Happened
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish