Boston blasts: 19-year-old suspect hospitalised with injuries
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured hiding in a boat parked in a backyard on Friday night.
Watertown: The 19-year-old Massachusetts college student, who was wanted in the Boston Marathon bombing and was captured hiding in a boat parked in a backyard on Friday night, has been hospitalised in serious condition with unspecified injuries, said police.
After a tense, all-day manhunt and house-to-house search by thousands of SWAT team officers with rifles and armored vehicles, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was cornered in a homeowner's yard, where he exchanged gunfire with police while holed up in a boat, authorities said. He was seized around 9 pm and hospitalised in serious condition with unspecified injuries, the police said.
A cheer went up from a crowd of bystanders in Watertown. "Everyone wants him alive," said Kathleen Paolillo, a teacher. Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted, "We got him," along with a photo of himself talking to the police commissioner. "Tonight, our family applauds the entire law enforcement community for a job well done, and trust that our justice system will now do its job," said the family of 8-year-old Martin Richard, who died in the bombing.
Police said three other people were taken into custody for questioning at an off-campus housing complex at the University of the Massachusetts at Dartmouth where the younger man may have lived.
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against UN-Designated Terrorist Outfits
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18