Boston bombings: Obama thanks Putin for Russian cooperation
Obama and Putin agreed to continue their cooperation on counter-terrorism and security issues going forward, the White House said.
Washington: US President Barack Obama spoke with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in the wake of the twin bombings in Boston early this week, in which the two suspects are said to be from the Russian part of Chechnya. "President Obama thanked President Putin for those sentiments, and praised the close cooperation that the United States has received from Russia on counter-terrorism, including in the wake of the Boston attack," the White House said in a statement after the phone call.
Obama and Putin agreed to continue their cooperation on counter-terrorism and security issues going forward, the White House said. Putin expressed his condolences on behalf of the Russian people for the tragic loss of life in Boston, the statement added.
The US President, meanwhile continued to be briefed on the investigation by his national security team throughout the day. The most recent briefing, provided in the Oval Office by the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco, concluded shortly after 4.00 pm.
Following that briefing the Obama placed calls to the Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and the Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, to express his condolences for the MIT police officers who was killed overnight, a White House official said. Obama said that the entire country is behind the people of Boston as well as Massachusetts, and that the full force of the Federal Government will continue to be made available until those responsible are brought to justice, the White House said.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Live: No End to Samajwadi Party Crisis, Old Guard Meet CM Akhilesh
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18