Brazil's Menezes wins gold in women's judo
Sarah Menezes of Brazil won the women's 48-kilogram Olympic judo gold medal on Saturday.
London: Sarah Menezes of Brazil won the women's 48-kilogram Olympic judo gold medal on Saturday.
The second-ranked Menezes beat defending Olympic champion Alina Dumitru of Romania in a final that had both fighters on the defensive.
Menezes frequently had her hands up like a boxer as both struggled to get a dominant grip, without much success until the last minute of the match. After failing to throw Dumitru off balance with foot sweeps, Menezes finally succeeded in throwing her for the victory.
Menezes finished 19th at the Beijing Olympics.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category