DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
U'khand: 4 killed, 16 injured in bridge collapse
The under-construction structure collapsed when concrete was being poured into the steel frame.
New Delhi: Four labourers were killed in a bridge collapse in Pauri Garhwal district early on Sunday morning. Sixteen others were injured and many others are feared to be still trapped under the debris.
The under-construction structure over Alaknanda river collapsed when concrete was being poured into the steel frame.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has ordered an inquiry into the incident. The reasons for the collapse of the bridge were not immediately known, District Magistrate Pauri MC Upreti said.
All the 4 bodies have been retrieved and efforts are on identify them, the DM said.
The chief minister, meanwhile, ordered an inquiry into the tragedy. "I am concerned over what happened. I have already ordered a helicopter (to oversee the rescue operation)," Bahuguna told reporters.
The chief minister said he would also reach the accident site. There have been similar incidents in the hill state in the last few years which authorities have blamed on the poor quality of material used in these structures.
With additional information from PTI
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Says Champions Trophy Most Competitive 'Big' Tournament
- Maruti Suzuki Says Most Models to Have Automatic Transmission Options by 2020
- Prabhas-Anushka's Real Life Photos Are As Magical As Their Onscreen Chemistry
- Snapchat 'Custom Stories' Feature Looks Promising For Group Outings
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish