British Queen Elizabeth II hospitalised
The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII Hospital after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
London: Queen Elizabeth II on Sunday was admitted to a hospital here "as a precaution" after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace officials said. The 86-year-old monarch has been taken to King Edward VII Hospital in London, a palace spokesman said.
"The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis," the Palace said in a statement.
"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled," the statement said. Buckingham Palace said the monarch, who had taken ill on Friday, had been driven to the King Edward VII hospital in central London by private car.
She was driven to the hospital in the private car from Windsor Castle, where she had been resting. The Queen, who celebrates her 87th birthday next month, is expected to remain in hospital for about two days while she is being assessed.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were due to visit Italy on Wednesday for a two-day visit at the invitation of Italy's president, Giorgio Napolitano. The couple were due to attend a private lunch and also visit the Pantheon, the ancient Roman monument where two Italian kings are buried.
The King Edward VII hospital, which is the preferred choice of hospital for the royal family, was at the centre of a media storm in December when the Duchess of Cambridge was admitted suffering from a severe form of morning sickness.
An inquiry was launched after two Australian radio DJs made a hoax call pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, asking for details of the duchess's medical condition.
46-year-old Indian-origin nurse Jacintha Saldanha who was at the receiving end of the hoax, was later found hanged at her accommodation. The full inquest into her death is expected to reopen later this month.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Amit Sadh Begins Shooting For Sarkar 3
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18