B'wood razzmatazz at film awards in NY
Mira Nair and Asha Parekh were among those honoured at the Bollywood Movie Awards 2007 held in New York.
New York: About 10,000 fans from across the US, Canada and even the Caribbean packed the Nassau Coliseum at Long Island for the Bollywood Movie Awards 2007 where Hollywood actor Danny Glover, director Mira Nair and former actress Asha Parekh were among those honoured.
Bollywood stars who performed at the Saturday night event included Vivek Oberoi, Arjun Rampal, Bipasha Basu, Urmila Matondkar, Neha Dhupia and Soha Ali Khan. Mona Singh of Jassi fame was the MC at the event.
Glover, whose film credits include Lethal Weapon franchise and whose performance in the title role of HBO movie Mandela earned him an Emmy nomination, was given the award for Outstanding Contribution to Global Entertainment.
Nair, director of crossover films like The Namesake and Monsoon Wedding, was given the Pride of India Award.
Parekh, who served as the chairperson of the Indian censor board after retiring as an actress, was given Lifetime Achievement Award.
Other awards included: Best film: Lage Raho Munnabhai; Best Director: Rajkumar Hirani for Lage Raho...; Best Actor: Hrithik Roshan for Dhoom 2; Best Actress: Bipasha Basu for Corporate, Best Actor in Supporting Role: Vivek Oberoi for Omkara; Best Actress in Supporting Role: Kirron Kher for Rang De Basanti.
The audience that packed the Nassau Coliseum had, however, come to be entertained and they were not disappointed. Arjun Rampal had them on their feet with his chartbusters while Vivek Oberoi had the women swooning with his romantic numbers. Bipasha Basu and Urmila Matondkar performed to a medley of their songs.
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Parched Movie Review: Nuanced Performances, Heartfelt Storytelling Make It a Must Watch
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test