DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
West Bengal: Results for Howrah by-poll to be announced today
The by-poll will be the acid test for Trinamool Congress as it is the first election after the recent Saradha chit fund scam.
Kolkata: By-poll result for the Howrah constituency in West Bengal, which went in for polling on Sunday, will be announced on Wednesday. The election has been necessitated following the death of Trinamool Congress MP Ambika Banerjee on April 25.
This will be the acid test for Trinamool Congress as it is the first election after the recent Saradha chit fund scam. With around 64 per cent turnout, the polling was peaceful with no reports of violence.
The by-poll was a three-way contest between the Trinamool Congress, its former ally the Congress party, and the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
While the Trinamool Congress has fielded former international footballer Prasun Banerjee, advocate Sanatan Mukherjee is contesting on the Congress ticket, and Sridip Bhattacharya is the candidate of the CPI-M-led Left Front.
Both Congress and the CPI-M have accused the Trinamool of using muscle power to intimidate voters as well as not allowing the polling officers to function independently during the by-poll.
(With Additional Inputs From IANS)
Recommended For You
- Sonu Nigam Quits Twitter After Singer Abhijeet's Account Is Suspended
- Prabhas-Anushka's Real Life Photos Are As Magical As Their Onscreen Chemistry
- England vs South Africa Live Score: England Get Rid of De Kock
- Snapchat 'Custom Stories' Feature Looks Promising For Group Outings
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish