Byrne lending a hand with Ferrari's 2014 car
The 69-year-old is working on the new Enzo road car project but also providing "operational support" on the 2014 F1 project.
London: Ferrari are tapping the talents of Rory Byrne, the South African designer whose cars took Michael Schumacher to seven Formula One drivers' titles with Benetton and Ferrari, to help with development of their 2014 car.
Byrne was spotted at the launch of the team's 2013 car, the F138, at the Maranello factory this month, and Ferrari confirmed on Sunday that he was also involved - at a distance - in next year's challenger.
A spokesman said the 69-year-old was working on the new Enzo road car project but also providing "operational support" on the 2014 F1 project.
An earlier report in German publication Auto, Motor und Sport had quoted Byrne as saying he was "working full steam" on the car with the F138 looking like "child's play" in comparison to it.
With major rules changes and a new engine coming in next season, Ferrari have set up two separate design teams to work on this and next year's cars.
Fabio Montecchi is the lead man for the 2014 design with Simone Resta working on the F138. Both report to Nicolas Tombazis.
Schumacher won 91 races in cars designed by Byrne. The South African moved to Ferrari in 1997 and became part of a 'dream team' with Ross Brawn and Schumacher.
He retired from full time design at the end of 2006, when Schumacher began a three-year break from the sport, but has since been involved as a consultant in various Ferrari projects.
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution