British PM Cameron to visit Golden Temple today
The letter has appealed to British PM to be helpful in resolving the identity problems of European Sikhs.
Amritsar: After visiting Mumbai and Delhi, visiting UK Prime Minister David Cameron is set to go to Amritsar later on Wednesday. Cameron, who is in India with a high level business delegation for three days, will be in Punjab and is expected to visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
Meanwhile, radical Sikh outfit Dal Khalsa has written to the British Prime Minister over various 'identity' issues faced by Sikhs worldwide. Extending a warm welcome to Cameron and his delegation for visiting Darbar Sahib, popularly known as Golden Temple, a letter written by Dal Khalsa spokesperson Kanwarpal Singh, was sent through fax to British High Commissioner, Sir James Bevan KCMG at New Delhi.
"While some may like to see your visit to Golden Temple only as a compulsion of immigration politics, we consider it as a tactical recognition of Sikhs as a separate nation for which your team should be applauded," the letter said. The letter also noted that due to the historical Anglo-Sikh connection, the British government owes it to the Sikhs to ensure that their fundamental rights are protected.
The letter has appealed to British PM to be helpful in resolving the identity problems of European Sikhs including turban ban in France. Referring to the British Pod car that would make its presence in Amritsar transporting pilgrims from the city centre to the Golden Temple, as a significant example of continuing British interest in the state.
The Dal Khalsa has also suggested setting up a British Council Library here for the benefit of students in the state. The British PM is likely to come Amritsar to pay obeisance at the Golden Temple and elaborate security arrangements have been made on all the roads approaching to Golden Temple from Amritsar Airport. Security inside the Golden Temple is also beefed up in view of Cameron's visit.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event
- New Trump Accuser Said He Groped Her at 1998 Tennis Event
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi