CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan
Vikas was ousted from the Games after AIBA overturned the result of his 69kg pre-quarterfinal bout.
London: India's hopes of boxer Vikas Krishan being restored to the Olympic Games competition after he was controversially eliminated on a protest by his American opponent were dashed when the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) rejected the country's appeal on Monday.
The world's top sports tribunal ruled that the appeal was not maintainable as there was no provision to contest the decision of AIBA's Competition Jury which it said was final.
"There is no provision in the AIBA Technical and Competition Rules allowing for an appeal against the decision of the Competition Jury in relation to a Protest. The decision of the Competition Jury is final and cannot be appealed," the CAS said in a statement.
"For this reason, your appeal letter cannot be considered and the Appeal Letter is hereby returned to you," the statement added. Acting Chef-de-Mission of the Indian contingent Muralidharan Raja said that India would not pursue the matter any further.
"In view of the above, although Team India feels very hurt at the reversal of decision of bout no. 142 and declaring the opponent of Vikas Krishan to be the winner, with the approval and concurrence of Acting President IOA Prof VK Malhotra and Secretary General IOA, the subject matter is being rested and not pursued any further at this Competition as the protest is being considered non-maintainable," said Raja, who is also the Secretary General of the Indian Boxing Federation.
Vikas was ousted from the Games after AIBA overturned the result of his 69kg pre-quarterfinal bout against American Errol Spence which he had won 13-11 on August 3, following a review.
The 20-year-old had been declared the winner but following an appeal by his rival's team management, the AIBA awarded the bout 15-13 to the American citing the fouls committed by the Indian which were not noticed by the referee.