'Casablanca' to get a sequel
Titled 'Return to Casablanca', the sequel would follow the story of Richard Blaine as he tries to find his father.
London: An American producer is planning to bring a sequel to 'Casablanca', the beloved 1942 Hollywood classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in their most famous roles.
The film, whose lines like 'Here's looking at you kid' and 'Play it again, Sam' are still quoted by film lovers, revolved around two star-crossed lovers -- Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund -- who reunite in 'Casablanca' during the World-War II only to separate later.
Cass Warner, an American producer, is trying to find backers for a proposal written by the late Howard Koch, one of the three who got an screenwriting Oscar for the film, reported Daily Mail.
Titled 'Return to Casablanca', the sequel would follow the story of Richard Blaine, the son of Bogart's Rick Blaine and Ingrid Bergman's Ilsa Lund as he tries to find his father.
The boy was conceived the night Ilsa came to Rick's place to plead for the Letters of Transit, and she kept it a secret from her husband Victor Laszlo, played by Paul Henreid.
Warner said she met Koch before he died and when she visited his home discovered a treatment for a 'Casablanca 2'. Koch could not get anyone to represent him in his quest to get it made so Warner took it to Warner Bros.
"Warner Bros passed on it but they indicated they were willing to revisit this if I could find a filmmaker they were interested in working with," she said.
The sequel can tie-up some of the loose ends in the story but it also risks the wrath of fans who love the original classic.
Among the skeptics about the remake is Stephen Bogart, the 64-year-old son of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
"If they want to make a movie about intrigue in North Africa, that's fine, but bringing the specter of one of the greatest movies of all time into it makes it just another feeble attempt at 'Casablanca 2,'" Stephen said
- Karnataka Defers Cauvery Water Release to Thursday
- Karnataka Parties Against Release of Cauvery Water
- Siddaramaiah Says Not Possible To Release Water Right Away
- Cauvery Row: Release Water to Tamil Nadu, SC tells Karnataka
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- Visitors Banned from Taking Photo, Video of Parliament House Complex
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- BJP Accuses AAP of Nepotism, Alleges it Gave Contractual Jobs to Volunteers