Cauvery Row: DMK's Stalin Joins Farmers Protests; Opposition Stages Rail Roko
DMK's Stalin joins Cauvery protests with farmers in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Farmer's federation on Monday announced a 48-hour 'Rail Roko' agitation urging the Centre to set up the Cauvery Management Board (CMB), with principle opposition party DMK's MK Stalin participating in the protests that were held in different parts of Tamil Nadu including Chennai and the Cauvery delta districts.
Stalin led a procession at Perambur while scores of other political workers belonging to DMK, the Left parties and MDMK among others staged a rail roko at Thanjavur and Cuddalore, and were detained.
Clashes were reported between the DMK workers and police during the stir.
A farmers' federation had called for the two-day rail blockade starting on Monday, urging the Centre to immediately constitute the CMB.
These protests come days after a high-level technical team, set up by the Supreme Court, completed its inspection of Cauvery basin region in Tamil Nadu to assess the situation in the state.
The team, which also inspected the Cauvery basin in Karnataka, is set to submit its report in the apex court on Monday.
The Supreme court had set up the team while hearing a petition by Tamil Nadu government seeking release of Cauvery water by Karnataka.
(With inputs in PTI)
Recommended For You
- #TheTechAndAutoShowThe Tech and Auto Show: OnePlus 3T Vs OnePlus 3, Toyota Prius And More
- Why Pay More?OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What's New And All You Need to Know About It
- CAPTAIN MARVELVirat Kohli: The Milestone Man
- Movie ReviewBefikre Review: A Glossy, Predictable Indian Love Story
- MR CONSISTENTVirat Kohli Retains Second Spot In ICC ODI Rankings