Cauvery Row: No Water in Karnataka's Reservoirs, Says Siddaramaiah
File photo of Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah (PTI )
Bengaluru: Reacting to the Supreme Court order directing Karnataka to release 2,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu till further orders, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday said there was no water in the state's reservoirs.
"There is no water at our reservoirs, I have not yet seen the order copy. I will speak to the advocates after going through the order copy," he told reporters here.
The apex court on Tuesday retained its direction to Karnataka to release 2,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu till further orders and asked the two governments to ensure peace and harmony, saying citizens should not become law unto themselves.
"We intend to first adjudicate the issue of maintainability of appeals filed by Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. At this juncture, the interim order dated October 4 directing Karnataka to release 2,000 cusecs of water per day to Tamil Nadu will continue till further orders," the bench comprising of Justices Dipak Misra, Amitava Roy and A M Khanwilkar said.
Made Gowda, President of Mandya Zilla Raitha Hitharakshana Samiti (MZRHS), which is spearheading the Cauvery agitation in Mandya, said, "we should maintain peace until tomorrow's hearing."
"The court might have asked us to release 2,000 cusecs of water to test Karnataka government's patience....If they again ask us to release water tomorrow, we can reject it. There is no dharma in leaving water to them for crops, when we don't have it even for drinking," he added.
Recommended For You
- D-DAY POSTPONEDSupreme Court Adjourns BCCI-Lodha Panel Verdict Till Friday
- POWER PACKEDLenovo K6 Power Review: A Complete Budget Android Phone Under Rs 10,000
- EXCLUSIVE PICTURESSourav Ganguly - Dada of Gully Cricket
- Can't wait!Koffee With Karan: The 100th Episode Featuring Salman Khan is Going to be 'Khantastic'
- PARTNER CONTENTCash Crunch: Yes Bank SIMsePAY Enables Cashless Transactions Without Smartphone or Internet