CBI arrests I-T Commissioner for graft
CBI's Anti Corruption Wing laid a trap after a company lodged a complaint against Daya Shankar.
Mumbai: The CBI on Monday arrested Income Tax Commissioner Daya Shankar for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two lakh from a private company for passing a favourable order in an appeal matter.
"Shankar, Commissioner IT (Appeals), was arrested this morning from his office in Bandra for demanding and accepting bribe for settling and issuing a favourable order in an appeal matter pending before him," CBI Joint Director (Western Region) Rishiraj Singh told reporters.
A firm engaged in copper wire manufacture had filed its return for assessment year 2008-09 which was taken up for scrutiny by the jurisdictional IT officer. After scrutiny, the IT officer had passed an order for additional tax liabilities.
Aggrieved by this, the company approached Shankar with an appeal challenging the order.
"Shankar demanded bribe from the company for issuing a favourable assessment order. He also told them that if they do no pay the money then he would confirm the order passed earlier," Singh said.
CBI's Anti Corruption Wing laid a trap after the company lodged a complaint following which Shankar was caught while accepting the bribe.
"Searches are being conducted at the officer's residences in Delhi, Ghaziabad, Lucknow and Mumbai. So far we have recovered Rs 8 lakh in cash from his residence here. We are investigating if the accused had taken money earlier too for passing favourable orders," the joint director said.
The accused would be produced before a special CBI court for remand on tuesday.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Donald Trump Says Will Not Approve AT&T-Time Warner Deal If Elected President